M. Cannon Memorial Chapel
#NC-01270-ED - Notecards
#PR-01270-ED - Open Edition Print
Built on a
slight rise overlooking the east end of University Lake, the chapel
at the University of Richmond was given by the wife of Henry Mansfield
Cannon, a local tobacconist who died in 1907. Since its opening
in 1929, this striking Gothic chapel has played an important role
in campus life. Besides being used for religious services for
students and members of the community, it serves admirably as
the site for cultural events such as concerts and recitals, academic
assemblies and honors convocations. Many students who met at the
University have been married in the chapel.
organ installed in 1936 was replaced in 1961 by a pipe organ designed
by the German organ builder,m Rudolph von Beckerath. Three workmen
from Hamburg, Germany installed the organ in nine weeks. The 1,200
pipes of tin, lead and wood range in size from 16 feet to one
smaller and thinner than a soda straw. Recognized as one of the
finest installations in the country, the organ is included in
H.J. Winterton's A Collection of Noted Organs and Organists
of the World.
In 1976, the
Chapel underwent a major renovation, which included carpeting
the tiled aisles, reshaping the chancel, enlarging the choir loft
and extending rich wood paneling around the organ case.
© 2000 Terry White, Drawing © 2000 Bill Harrah.