#NC-01200-ED - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-785
Prints not available.
Hall originally served as the town hall of Shepherdstown. The
building was constructed on a vacant lot where the old Shepherd
Fort had stood. The lot was acquired in 1858 by Rezin Davis Shepherd,
noted local philanthropist and descendent of the towns founder.
The lot seemed the ideal location for a town hall featuring one
story for a library and one for meetings.
Hall is named for the first principal of Shepherd College. The
hall was built in the style of Greek revival architecture. The
designer of the hall is unknown, but seems to have been influenced
by William Strickland, who designed many churches as well as the
New Orleans Mint and the Tennessee State Capitol. Wings were added
to the building in 1866-1871, when the hall was used as the Jefferson
Shepherd died of typhoid fever on November 10, 1865, a few months
after the completion of the town hall. Shepherd Brooks, his grandson,
later granted use of the property for a classical scientific school.
On April 21, 1891, a continuing Board of Trustees was established
to lease, but not to sell, the property. McMurran Hall is currently
being used by Shepherd College who is responsible for the maintenance
of the building.
© 1994 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1994 Bill Harrah.