#NC-01210-ED - Notecards
#PR-01210-ED - Open Edition Print
in U.S. maritime history, the Naval Academy Chapel was built upon
a cornerstone laid in June 1904 by Admiral of the Navy George
Dewey, best known for his victory at Manila Bay in the Spanish-American
War. Also from that war are anchors at the main entrance, which
were made for the battle-tested armored cruiser New York.
crypt beneath the chapel in an elaborate marble sarcophagus contains
the remains of John Paul Jones, the great naval leader of the
American Revolution. The crypt and window spaces of the chapel
have been reserved for memorials to meritorious officers of the
Navy who either commanded a fleet or squadron in battle or received
the thanks of Congress for conspicuously distinguished services
during wartime. Dramatic stained glass windows by Tiffany depict
many of these heroes. Bronze doors designed by sculptor Evelyn
B. Longman, and dedicated to the class of 1868, were unveiled
architect Ernest Flagg designed the chapel in the shape of a Greek
cross to seat 1,600 worshippers. The Beaux-Arts design sports
a copper-clad dome, which soars over 200 feet above the floor.
It can be spotted from every approach to the city. Flagg also
displayed his affinity for strong vertical statements in his design
of the 47-story Singer Tower, the tallest building in the world
at that time. Both buildings opened in 1908.
© 1998 Terry White, Drawing © 1998 Bill Harrah.