#NC-01240-ED - Notecards
#PR-01240-ED - Open Edition Print
cornerstone for the 77,080 square foot Teaching and Administration
Building was laid at the 1935 commencement. By June 1936, the
building was complete and commencement exercises were held in
the new 3,003-seat auditorium. In 1944 it was renamed in honor
of the schools eighth President, Dr. Julian Ashby Burruss.
He served as president from September 1919 to July 1945.
Burruss was the first alumnus president. He received his B.S.
in Civil Engineering from VPI in 1898. In 1906, he was awarded
an M.A. from Columbia University, and received his Ph.D. from
the University of Chicago in 1921. He is considered to be one
of VPIs outstanding presidents.
1968, a badly needed west wing and rear addition increased the
buildings size by 60,503 square feet. The 20,638 square
foot east wing was added in 1970. Today, Burruss Hall remains
Techs main administration building and the focal point of
in 1872 as a land-grant college, VPI&SU is located 38 miles
southwest of Roanoke between the beautiful Blue Ridge and Allegheny
Mountains. The university has the largest student body in Virginia,
more than 100 campus buildings, a 3,000-acre main campus, and
a 1,700-acre agriculture research farm. Through its three missions
of instruction, research, and public service, VPI&SU is dedicated
to serve beyond the borders of the Commonwealth.
© 1995 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1995 Bill Harrah.