#NC-01165-ED - Notecards
#PR-01165-ED - Open Edition Print
College was founded in 1903 as Virginia Christian College by Dr.
Josephus Hopwood, a minister and former president of Milligan
College in Tennessee. When the campus outgrew its original building,
Westover Hall, the College began a campaign to raise funds for
new facilities. Industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie
offered a large grant in 1908, allowing the College to construct
two new buildings: Carnegie Hall and Hopwood Hall.
Edward Frye designed Hopwood Hall as a red brick version of his
beauz-arts styled Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, which had
been completed in 1908. Both buildings include six Ionic columns,
a broad central stairway, and an overarching dome. With its sweeping
wings, Hopwood Hall dominates one end of the Colleges main
College, the second oldest coeducational college in Virginia,
was founded through an agreement with the Christian Church (Disciples
of Christ). The College maintains strong commitments to the liberal
arts and sciences and to its relationship with the church, while
also emphasizing professional and career preparation. Both undergraduate
and graduate studies are offered on the 214-acre campus to nearly
2,000 students from across the United States and around the world.
© 1999 Catherine Lazaroff, Drawing © 1999 Bill Harrah.