#NC-01140-ED - Notecards
#PR-01140-ED - Open Edition Print
Hall, the building most identified with James Madison University,
sits at the head of JMUs beautiful Quadrangle. It now contains
the Presidents office, other major administrative offices,
and the office of the Graduate School.
was broken for Wilson Hall in May, 1930. The cornerstone was laid
with full Masonic rites in July of that year. Wilson Hall was
built by Nielsen Construction Company of Harrisonburg at a cost
of $202,073.75. Like other buildings on JMUs Quadrangle,
Wilson Hall is constructed of a limestone block known as bluestone
because of its bluish-gray color.
building was named for Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United
States. Wilson was born in nearby Staunton, Virginia. Wilson Hall
was dedicated on May 15, 1931, before an audience that included
President Wilsons widow, Edith Bolling Wilson.
offices, including the presidents office, were on the first
floor of Wilson Hall, along with the student post office. Classrooms
were on the second and third floors. The last classroom housed
in Wilson Hall was a geography classroom/laboratory in 1990-91.
Hall also contains an auditorium on the first floor with a balcony
on the second floor. Renovated in 1988, it now has a seating capacity
© 1995 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1995 Bill Harrah.