Cape Lookout National Seashore, North Carolina
#NC-09140-LH - Notecards
Also available in Assortment #AST-901
today because of its unusual black-and-white diamond pattern,
Cape Lookout Lighthouse, built in 1859, guarded a Confederate
stronghold in the Civil War. Forced to retreat, the Confederates
unsuccessfully attempted to destroy the sturdy lighthouse; however,
they did manage to obliterate the nearby original 104-foot tower,
which had been built in 1812.
explosives failed to destroy the 156-foot Cape Lookout Lighthouse,
it has been less successful at withstanding erosion. The danger
here has come mostly from tidal currents in Bardens Inlet rather
than from the ocean. In recent years, dredging operations in the
inlet have eased the threat of erosion.
To visit Cape
Lookout Lighthouse, take US-70 through Morehead City and Beaufort.
At Otway, follow the signs to Harkers Island, where a passenger
ferry travels to the barrier island twice a day. The U.S. Coast
Guard owns and operates the lighthouse. The tower is closed to
the public, but the National Park Service owns the surrounding
land, which includes a visitors center in the assistant keepers'
duplex. Structures at the site are listed on the National Register
of Historic Places.
© 1999 Terry White, Drawing © 1999 Bill Harrah