Assateague Island, Virginia
#NC-09100-LH - Notecards
Also available in Assortment #AST-901
this lighthouse was built, Spanish galleons all too frequently
crashed into the treacherous shoals near the Maryland-Virginia
border. Among the survivors of the resulting shipwrecks were ponies.
Their descendants continue to flourish on the island's Chincoteague
National Wildlife Refuge, where the lighthouse also is located.
In fact, the annual pony roundup was immortalized in Marguerite
Henry's Newberry Honor Book, Misty of Chincoteague.
lighthouse here, built in 1833, was too short and its lamp too
weak to be of much use to ships traversing the Atlantic Ocean.
The original 45-foot stone tower finally was replaced in 1867
with the 142-foot brick and stone tower, boasting a first-order
Fresnel lens visible from about 20 miles at sea. In 1961, the
lens was replaced by an automated aero-marine beacon.
To visit the
red-and-white striped lighthouse, follow U.S. Highway 13 and Virginia
Highway 175 to the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Visitors
are not allowed inside the tower because the lighthouse remains
© 1999 Terry White, Drawing © 1999 Bill Harrah