#NC-01255-ED - Notecards
#PR-01255-ED - Open Edition Print
The major landmark
on the West Virginia University Campus, Woodburn Hall houses the
administrative offices for the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
and the Departments of History, Political Science, Interdepartmental
Studies and Public Administration, as well as several classrooms.
Originally called New Hall when it opened in 1876, the building
was renamed University Hall in 1878, then Woodburn Hall in 1902.
The north wing was added in 1900; the south in 1911. For years,
the Seth Thomas tower clock, purchased in 1884, tolled at 9 p.m.
to announce students bedtime.
which included the hall and two other buildings, was listed on
the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Three years
later, the university completed a promenade behind Woodburn Hall
and installed lighting to illuminate the buildings exterior
so that it would beautify the Morgantown skyline at night.
© 2003 Terry White, Drawing © 2003 Bill Harrah.