#NC-15430-US - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-701
Cass Gilbert designed the Supreme Court Building to pay tribute
to Greece, the cradle of democracy. A massive temple, flanked
by two horizontal wings, sits atop a full-story stair- case
all of dazzling white Vermont marble costing $3 million.
stern statues at the entrance, the Authority of Law and the Contemplation
of Justice, remind visitors of the serious business at hand. Those
toga-clad gentlemen decorating the pediment supported by 16 imposing
columns? They are Chief Justices John Marshall, William Howard
Taft and Charles Evans Hughes, Secretary of State Elihu Root,
the architect Gilbert and sculptor Robert Aitkin. A pediment on
the east front depicts the ultimate law givers Moses, Confucius
and Solomon. The 13-ton bronze doors portray momentous legal developments
throughout history. The doors' sculptor, John Donnelly, Jr., also
modeled the bronze flagpole bases, which display such symbols
of justice as scales and swords, books, pens and maces.
of former Chief Justices greet visitors entering the Great Hall,
leading to the Court Chamber, where the nine black robed justices
sit in a row when the Court is in session. Before completion of
the Supreme Court Building in 1935, the nation's highest tribunal
had no permanent home. The justices met in seven different locations
from 1800 to 1935.
annual term begins the first Monday in October, continuing until
early summer. Sessions are open to the public on a first-come,
first-served basis. At other times, visitors may attend free lectures
every hour on the half hour from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on the
Court and its building.
© 1997 Terry White, Drawing © 1997 Bill Harrah