#NC-14220-TV - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-710
- Open Edition Print
Tavern Museum consists of two adjoining structures Gadsby's
Tavern built in 1770, and the City Tavern & Hotel built in 1792.
These two outstanding examples of Colonial architecture are named
for Englishman John Gadsby, who operated them from 1796 to 1808.
as a center of political, business and social life in Alexandria,
Gadsby's establishment was frequented by many prominent individuals,
most notably George Washington. Banquets, dances, and musical
events were held in the ballroom. Meeting rooms were used regularly
by merchants and tradesmen to sell their wares and services. Gadsby's
was also a popular meeting place for many clubs as well as business
and community organizations.
other proprietors continued to operate the hotel and tavern from
1808 until 1878. After that the buildings were used for a variety
of commercial and residential purposes and then fell into disrepair.
In 1929 American Legion Post 24 bought the buildings, saving them
from demolition. They were used by the group as a museum and club
until 1972, when the Legion donated the buildings to the City
of Alexandria. The buildings were restored and re-opened to the
public in 1976.
© 1995 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1995 Bill Harrah