Wolf Run Studio - Historic Homes
Bill Harrah
Wolf Run Studio
P.O. Box 444
Clifton VA 20124

(703) 250-6711
(703) 764-9204






. . . HISTORIC HOMES . . . (Click on an image to see the actual notecard size)
Green Spring Manor House
Alexandria, Virginia

#NC-06150-HM - Notecards
#PR-06150-HM - Open Edition Print

John Moss built the eight-room, central hall manor house around 1760 near the natural springs that flowed on his 540-acre farm. The Moss family raised livestock and cultivated crops here for eighty years. The house was also a meeting place for a Methodist congregation. Alfred, grandson of John, sold the farm in 1839.

Fountain Beattie owned the property from 1878 to 1917. The farm specialized in dairy products and had 50 acres of orchard. Little River Turnpike, one of Virginia's finest rural roads, gave Beattie access to Washington markets. Civil War Colonel John Mosby (the Grey Ghost) was a life-long friend of Beattie and frequent visitor to the farm.

Michael and Belinda Straight purchased the house and 33 acres in 1942. They significantly renovated the structure and landscaped the property. The Straight's wish for a public horticulture park was set in motion in 1970 when they deeded their home and 16 acres to the Fairfax County Park Authority.

Subsequently, 11 acres were purchased and today Green Spring Gardens Park has twenty theme gardens, two ponds, a wooded stream valley, and a horticulture center with a greenhouse. The manor house is open Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. Teas and garden tours are scheduled and botanical artwork is on display. The house grounds and catering kitchen may be rented for private use. The gardens are open to the public daily from dawn until dusk.

Text © 1997 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1997 Bill Harrah

    View matted print

    Open Edition Print
    Image: 7” x 8.75”
    Mat: 11” x 14”

Arlington House    Ash Grove    Carlyle House    Clark House    Dogan House    Freeman House & Store    Green Spring Manor House    Joshua Gunnell House    Dr. William Gunnell House    Gunston Hall    The Harper House    Henry House    Maymont House    Master Armorer's House    George Washington's Mount Vernon    Oatlands Plantation    The Silas Burke House    The Stone House    Historic Sully    Virginia Governor's Mansion    Woodlawn Plantation   
|  Back to Top  |  Return to Mid-Atlantic Places of Interest  |  Return to Home Page  |  Order Form  |

Copyright Notice
Drawings Copyright © 1992-2010 Bill Harrah, Wolf Run Studio (SM), All Rights Reserved. Wolf Run Studio is a service mark of Bill Harrah and has been in continuous use since 1992. All of the images on this website are in tangible form and are fully copyrighted. Each has an invisible digital identification which is traceable through the Digimarc Corporation. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out images for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute copies of images or image files to anyone else for any reason. Images may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner, or displayed on any website without the express written consent of Bill Harrah.

Text Copyright © 1992-2010 Terry White or Dianne Harrah. Text on this website is used with permission from the authors. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out text for personal, non-commercial use only. Text may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner without the express written consent of the authors.

Information Accuracy
The information for the written description of each location has been carefully researched by the authors and is believed to be accurate. New findings, however, could make some information out-of-date. If you are a professional historian, archaeologist, or architect, and have new information that you are willing to share, please contact Dianne Harrah .