#NC-12140-RR - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-650
#PR-12140-RR - Open Edition Print
1851 the Orange & Alexandria line intersected with the Manassas
Gap Railroad, forming a junction town. This critical railway junction
affected the outcome of the first major battle of Manassas. Just
hours before the battle, Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard
began to receive reinforcements by train from General Joseph E.
Johnston's army at Winchester. By Sunday morning, when heavy fighting
began, four of Johnston's brigades had reached Manassas. By afternoon
the Confederates had driven off Union troops in the First Battle
has had five depots, three of which have been at the current location.
The present depot, which was built in 1914, partially incorporates
the walls of an earlier depot that burned in 1912. It is a one
story brick structure with a ceramic tiled roof. The roof, which
flows into wide eaves, is supported by brackets and posts. An
octagonal turret with tiny dormers is located in the center of
the station's roof.
current depot was rehabilitated in 1997 as a visitor center, exhibit
gallery, and passenger waiting area. It is a focal point for the
© 1996 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1996 Bill Harrah