Wolf Run Studio - Railroad Depots
Bill Harrah
Wolf Run Studio
P.O. Box 444
Clifton VA 20124

(703) 250-6711
(703) 764-9204





. . . RAILROAD DEPOTS . . . (Click on an image to see the actual notecard size)
Clifton Station
Clifton, Virginia

#NC-12110-RR - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-650
#PR-12110-RR - Open Edition Print

In 1863, during the Civil War, Pennsylvanian Herman Haupt, a noted bridge designer and the superintendent of Union military railroads, commissioned John Devereux, the railroad superintendent in Alexandria, to build a siding on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad on this site, later known as Devereux Station. The siding at Devereux Station served as a major supply point where trains were loaded with wood for burning in the Union's U.S. Military Railroad locomotives. When a passenger station was built in 1868, the name was changed to Clifton Station. The station spurred the development of Clifton as a commercial and resort community, with its greatest growth occurring between 1890 and 1920. Although the station was removed in 1958, the town continues to thrive and remains noted for its late-19th-century architecture.

The Clifton Caboose was built in 1949 for the Norfolk & Western Railroad. In 1982 the Norfolk & Western Railroad merged with the Southern Railway and was then called the Norfolk Southern. The caboose was received by the Town of Clifton in 1992 and will remain on permanent display.

Text © 1999 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1999 Bill Harrah

    View matted print

    Open Edition Print
    Image: 7” x 8.75”
    Mat: 11” x 14”

Clifton Station    Fairfax Station Depot    Herndon Depot    Manassas Depot    Vienna Train Station   
|  Back to Top  |  Return to Mid-Atlantic Places of Interest  |  Return to Home Page  |  Order Form  |

Copyright Notice
Drawings Copyright © 1992-2010 Bill Harrah, Wolf Run Studio (SM), All Rights Reserved. Wolf Run Studio is a service mark of Bill Harrah and has been in continuous use since 1992. All of the images on this website are in tangible form and are fully copyrighted. Each has an invisible digital identification which is traceable through the Digimarc Corporation. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out images for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute copies of images or image files to anyone else for any reason. Images may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner, or displayed on any website without the express written consent of Bill Harrah.

Text Copyright © 1992-2008 Terry White or Dianne Harrah. Text on this website is used with permission from the authors. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out text for personal, non-commercial use only. Text may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner without the express written consent of the authors.

Information Accuracy
The information for the written description of each location has been carefully researched by the authors and is believed to be accurate. New findings, however, could make some information out-of-date. If you are a professional historian, archaeologist, or architect, and have new information that you are willing to share, please contact Dianne Harrah .