#NC-08320-WP - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-770
#PR-08320-WP - Open Edition Print
In 1871, a
small group of recent immigrants from northern states formed the
Presbyterian Church. Land for the church was donated on May 30,
1874 by Mr. and Mrs. Josiah Bowman from New York. The property,
located at the corner of Mill and Church Streets, was formerly
part of the 18th century Ayr Hill plantation acquired by the Bowmans
from John Hunter in 1850.
Dimsey, and volunteers from the newly formed congregation, built
the original 50-foot by 35-foot white clapboard building with
its 45-foot bell tower in 1874. Dedication took place in October
of the same year.
the wainscoting, altar end of the church, and the ceiling were
finished in varnished tongue and groove bead. The interior walls
were white plaster and the pews were natural varnished wood.
evening services came from a large kerosene lamp suspended from
a round plaster centerpiece in the ceiling. Another oil lamp on
top of the pump organ supplied light to the organist and choir.
The plaster centerpiece was later replaced with one made of handcarved
winter months, heat was provided by a large wood-burning stove
placed on the center aisle and surrounded by a metal screen.
As the congregation
grew, additions to the original building were made in 1911, 1927
and 1948. The present brick sanctuary and church school wing were
added in 1959 and more offices were added in 1986.
1874 building, now called "The Chapel," continues to
be used for special meetings and services, including small weddings
© 1996 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1996 Bill Harrah