Peter's Roman Catholic Church
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
#NC-08280-WP - Notecards
#NC-08281-WP - Notecards
St. Peters Church in Harpers Ferry was built on the banks of the
Shenandoah River in 1823. A flood washed it away five years later.
In 1833, construction of a new church was completed at the current
site. St. Peter's was remodeled to its present appearance in 1896.
of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
produced an influx of Irish laborers into the Harpers Ferry area
during the early 1830's. St. Peters symbolizes America's melting
pot tradition and the customs, habits and religion of the early
Civil War, the pastor of St. Peters was Rev. Michael Costello,
a British citizen. To protect the church, Father Costello flew
the British colors from the bell tower during hostilities. Hoping
to avoid an international incident, neither Union nor Confederate
soldiers shelled or occupied the building during the war.
services have been celebrated continuously on the church's site
since 1833. Today, St. Peters is under the care of the Missionary
Servants of the Most Holy Trinity, who also serve parishes in
Charles Town and Shepherdstown.
© 1994 Dianne Harrah, Drawings © 1994 Bill Harrah