Wolf Run Studio - Houses of Worship
Bill Harrah
Wolf Run Studio
P.O. Box 444
Clifton VA 20124

Phone:
(703) 250-6711
Fax:
(703) 764-9204

 

PRICES

ORDER FORM

DRAWING
INDEX

. . . HOUSES OF WORSHIP . . . (Click on an image to see the actual notecard size)
Memorial Chapel at Walter Reed Hospital
Washington, D.C.

#NC-08180-WP - Notecards

The chapel serves as a memorial to the men and women who gave their lives in the service of their country and as a living memorial to the Gray Ladies of the Red Cross Volunteer Hospital Service. Named after the gray dress or apron and gray veil they were instructed to wear, the Gray Ladies deserve nearly all the credit for a decade of planning and fundraising required to build the chapel.

Upon signing the bill that authorized the chapel in February 1929, President Calvin Coolidge said, "This is the finest thing I have ever done." Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon set the cornerstone in May 1930, and a year later the chapel was officially dedicated. The first religious ceremony performed within the new chapel was a wedding.

The gray stone "Church of All Faiths" is reminiscent of those found in the English countryside. Indeed, the five-lance stained glass window above the marble altar was made in England. The sections each have themes relevant to both religion and the military. Ten other memorial windows also grace the chapel. Four gargoyles (two holding rectors, representing Science, and two holding scrolls, representing Religion) gaze out over the entire Army Medical Center from the tower. Sharing that view are four gargoyles of Gray Ladies. Everything in the chapel, from the foundation to the tower, is a memorial.

Text © 1998 Terry White, Drawing © 1998 Bill Harrah

HOUSES OF WORSHIP SELECTIONS:
Adat Reyim    Christ Church    Clifton Baptist Church    Clifton Presbyterian Church    The Falls Church    Fort Belvoir Chapel    Fredericksburg Baptist Church    Fredericksburg United Methodist Church    Memorial Chapel at Walter Reed Hospital    Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church    The Old Post Chapel    Pohick Episcopal Church, Truro Parish    The Presbyterian Church of Fredericksburg    St. George's Episcopal Church    St. Joseph's Church    St. Mary's Catholic Church    St. Mary's Church    St. Peter's Lutheran Church    St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church    Trinity Episcopal Church, Sheperdstown    Trinity Episcopal Church, Upperville    Truro Episcopal Church    Vienna Presbyterian Church    Wakefield Chapel    
|  Back to Top  |  Return to Mid-Atlantic Places of Interest  |  Return to Home Page  |  Order Form  |

Copyright Notice
Drawings Copyright © 1992-2010 Bill Harrah, Wolf Run Studio (SM), All Rights Reserved. Wolf Run Studio is a service mark of Bill Harrah and has been in continuous use since 1992. All of the images on this website are in tangible form and are fully copyrighted. Each has an invisible digital identification which is traceable through the Digimarc Corporation. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out images for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute copies of images or image files to anyone else for any reason. Images may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner, or displayed on any website without the express written consent of Bill Harrah.

Text Copyright © 1992-2010 Terry White or Dianne Harrah. Text on this website is used with permission from the authors. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out text for personal, non-commercial use only. Text may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner without the express written consent of the authors.

Information Accuracy
The information for the written description of each location has been carefully researched by the authors and is believed to be accurate. New findings, however, could make some information out-of-date. If you are a professional historian, archaeologist, or architect, and have new information that you are willing to share, please contact Dianne Harrah .