#NC-07100-HT - Notecards
#PR-07100-HT - Open Edition Print
Clifton Hotel at "Clifton Station" was built in 1869
by Harrison G. Otis, whose family immigrated to the area from
Ontario County, New York a year earlier. At the time of its construction,
other buildings included a railroad station and a mill on Chapel
Road. Years later, the hotel became a popular summer resort for
families from Alexandria, Washington and Baltimore and was listed
in the 1882 Excursion Guide of the Virginia Midland Railway.
The Guide included a panoramic view of Clifton and referred
to Clifton Springs, in Ontario County, New York as the source
of the name for the new Virginia village. Up to fifty guests could
Otis was also the first postmaster of Clifton Station and operated
a sawmill and vineyard. By 1892 Clifton Station was a thriving
community that included two churches, a school, four stores, a
wheelwright, an undertaker, a blacksmith shop and a "genteel
and orderly" bar. Just outside of town were one of the finest
soapstone quarries in the county, lumber years, farms and dairies.
known as The Hermitage Inn Restaurant, the Clifton Hotel has been
faithfully restored to its original beauty and is on the State
and National Registry of Historic Landmarks.
Note: Notecards currently available for purchase do not include
the above description. The above expanded version will be used
when these notecards are reprinted.
© 1993 Bill Harrah