Virginia Governor's Mansion
#NC-06265-HM - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-840
simplified early Federal style by Alexander Parris, this is the
oldest continuously occupied governor's house in the country.
Completed in 1814, it replaced a four-room makeshift governor's
residence, which was dubbed "The Palace." The residence
sits next door to the Virginia Capitol.
as a member of Virginia's state legislature, John Tyler mounted
the campaign to replace the original building with a more appropriate
one. Tyler later lived in the house as governor in 1825, before
being elected to the U.S. Senate in 1826.
expansive eras, a huge bowl on the ground floor was kept full
of toddy throughout legislative sessions. Among the notables who
have been entertained here were Winston Churchill and several
Presidents of the United States. Although it originally was criticized
for being too expensive, the two-story, white-painted brick house
has proved to be one of Virginia's best investments.
© 2000 Terry White, Drawing © 2000 Bill Harrah