Prince William County, Virginia
#NC-06250-HM - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-810
- Open Edition Print
Stone House, adjacent to Manassas battlefield, was built of local
red sandstone in the federal style in 1820. Built on the Pittsylvania
estate, it originally served as an inn for teamsters who drove
wagons along the Warrenton-Alexandira Turnpike. The inn lost business
in the 1850's when the railroad overtook the wagon as the preferred
form of commercial transportation.
Stone House's wagon stand was struck by shell fire during the
First Battle of Manassas, and the house was subsequently used
as a Union field hospital, until the afternoon of July 21, 1861,
when the Union Army was driven back to Washington. In August,
1862, it served as General Pope's headquarters and was again used
a s field hospital.
1948 the Stone House became part of the Manassas National Battlefield
Park. It has been restored to its presumed appearance as a Union
field hospital just after the First Batle of Manassas.
© 1994 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1994 Bill Harrah