Silas Burke House
Fairfax County, Virginia
#NC-06240-HM - Notecards
#PR-06240-HM - Open Edition Print
historic home, built in 1824, was the residence of Lieutenant
Colonel Silas Burke and his wife Hannah Coffer. The house was
built on the hill above Pohick Creek close to the time of their
marriage. Burke, for whom Burke's Station on the Orange &
Alexandria Railroad was named, served as a director of the railroad
and the Fairfax Turnpike Company. An innkeeper and farmer, Burke
was elected president of theFairfax Agricultural Society in 1850.
He held many county offices with distinction, including road surveyor,
commissioner of public buildings and schools, county court justice,
presiding justice and sheriff. At the time of his death in September
1854, he was one of the most successful entrepreneurs in Fairfax
1925, Williams and Nellie Simpson purchased the Silas Burke House.
It was once also the home of the Henry Copperthite family in the
early 1900s. Colonel Burke called his estate "Woodbury,"
but the Fowler family, Simpson descendants, call it "Top
© 1994 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1994 Bill Harrah