Prince William County, Virginia
#NC-06130-HM - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-810
at the intersection of Rt. 211 and Featherbed Lane, the Dogan
House was once an overseer's house on the Dogan plantation. The
house became the primary dwelling of Mrs. Lucinda Dogan and her
eight children after the main house on the plantation, Peach Grove,
burned in 1860.
to its position between the opposing lines in the battle of Second
Manassas, Dogan House became a battlefield landmark, noted on
all battle maps. On August 29-30, 1862, the house was involved
in heavy fighting. A shell allegedly came through the door on
the west side and scarred the floor.
the 1920's through 1940's, Dogan House was unoccupied. In 1947,
the Prince William Chamber of Commerce purchased the house and
repaired it. They deeded it to the National Park Service in 1949
for inclusion in the Manassas National Battlefield Park. In the
1960's the house was rehabilitated and restored and is occsionally
used for Park-sponsored activities.
© 1994 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1994 Bill Harrah