#NC-05120-GM - Notecards
#PR-05120-GM - Open Edition Print
Known at different
times as Rocky Run Mill, Triplett's Mill and Newton's Mill, Cabell's
Mill has been at the center of local commerce and community since
its construction around the time of the Revolutionary War. Through
the years, the water-operated mill went through nearly as many
different uses as names, serving as a grist mill, sawmill and
sumac mill for the tanning industry.
Lawrence purchased the mill, the miller's house and 640 acres
of surrounding woodlands in 1935. The mill wheel and milling machinery
were removed in the 1940s and the mill was converted into a guesthouse.
Mrs. Lawrence willed the farm to her husband David, the founder
and publisher of U.S. News and World Report, with the stipulation
that it be given to a public beneficiary of his choice.
County Park Authority received the entire property now named Ellanor
C. Lawrence Park in 1971. Cabell's Mill was totally reconstructed,
adapted for community use and reopened in 1980. The mill accommodates
150 people and may be rented for special events.
© 1997 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1997 Bill Harrah