#NC-05110-GM - Notecards
Also available in Notecard Assortments #AST-780
#PR-05110-GM - Open Edition Print with double mat
Also included in unmatted Print Set #PST-600
built Aldie Mill in 1807-09 for distinguished statesman Charles
Fenton Mercer in exchange for half-interest in the enterprise.
The mill was strategically located at the origin of the Little
River Turnpike, which ran to the port of Alexandria. In 1816,
Mercer bought out Cooke. Under Mercer, the mill thrived, specializing
in superfine flour for commercial export. Related machinery combined
the works of a saw, plaster and grist mill. In retirement, President
James Monroe ground grain here while living at nearby Oak Hill.
the mill gave Mercer the means to pursue his political career.
In 1835, Mercer sold the Mill to Captain John Moore, whose descendants
operated the mill for six generations until 1971. The family donated
the Mill to the Virginia Outdoors Foundation in 1981.
four-part Aldie Mill complex includes the main merchant mill,
a smaller country mill, store house and granary building. Today
it survives as Virginia's only known mill powered by twin overshot
water wheels. The mill is the focal point of the Aldie Mill Historic
District, which is officialy listed on the Virginia Landmarks
Register and the National Register of Historic Places. For further
information call (703) 327-6118.
the cooperation of the Virginia Outdoors Foundation
© 1997 Terry White, Drawing © 1997 Bill Harrah